March 23, 2017Sports
By Colin MurphyNortheast won the first regular-season matchup at home in January. Chesapeake got the Eagles back on Mountain Road on a Friday night in mid-February.
- Photo by Colin MurphyNortheast's Anthony Stewart and Chesapeake's Matt Kern battled for rebounding position in the third and final meeting between the Eagles and Cougars this season. The Eagles advanced past Chesapeake in the 3A playoffs, 70-51.
- Photo by Colin MurphyNortheast point guard Troy McNeill
- Photo by Colin MurphyNortheast center Brennan Volkman
On February 26, the Eagles took the final upper hand in this year’s uber-competitive Pasadena boys basketball rivalry—and they knocked...
- Photo by Colin Murphy
By Colin MurphyPanthers wrestlers capped an outstanding winter season with a slew of top finishes at the A and B county tournaments in addition to strong performances at multiple state meets throughout the season.
- Dylan Lewis (with Panthers wrestling coach Carl Cicchetti) was county A bracket champions and Maryland State Wrestling Association age/weight state champion in the 12U/122-lbs bracket and tallied a 44-3 record on the season.
- The Panthers' Gavin Lewis was MSWA age/weight state champion at 8U/70 lbs.
- Panthers first-year wrestler Logan Peapos was county A champion at 170 lbs.
With a roster that grew to 71 total wrestlers this year, the Panthers’ A team went 9-2 in...
By Colin MurphyThe Buccaneers cheerleading program experienced high levels of success over a busy season of competitions this winter, with the 12U Crystals, 10U Sapphires, 8U Treasures and 6U Gems teams all representing Pasadena in winning fashion in multiple events. Beginning with the Maryland Cup in January, in...
- The Bucs 12U Treasures (back two rows) and 8U Crystals (front two rows) both took home first-place finishes from multiple meets this winter.
- Photo courtesy of Pam PaulisThe Bucs 6U Gems took first place at the Reach the Beach meet in Ocean City.
- The Bucs 10U Sapphires were champions of the Reach the Beach competition in Ocean City.
By Colin MurphyEvery team wants to win it all, but even teams that win a state championship won’t have accomplished everything that the Chesapeake girls basketball program has accomplished in the past three seasons.
- Photos by Colin Murphy(L-R): Chesapeake's Mikaela Gray, Brooke Worrell and Hallie Persell have been part of a three-year build that has turned Chesapeake from a one-win team in 2013-2014 to a 19-4 county power this season.
One of the best teams in the region this season, the Cougars, who earned a first-round bye...
- Photos by Colin Murphy
By Colin MurphyWith three county youth basketball championships in the previous four seasons, the Lake Shore 13U boys basketball team coached by Shawn Rebstock was already well accustomed to success heading into this winter.
This year, the boys took it up a notch, going 11-1 in the Anne Arundel County Recreation...
By Colin MurphyNortheast boys basketball has steadily entrenched itself as an increasingly competitive program in the county in recent seasons, and if this year’s 13U Buccaneers boys basketball team is any indication, the Eagles do not plan on slowing down any time soon.
Bucs players Jaleel Petty, Jayon...
By Colin MurphyThe U13 C-1 Bucs boys basketball team came up with a clutch victory over rival Brooklyn Park in the season’s final game to finish the winter season with a 7-2 record and earn a share of the county championship.
Head coach Tom Wheeler’s team of Trevor Lemay, Ryan Peck, Dalton Wheeler,...
By Colin MurphyForming a county team for the first time, the Lake Shore 8U girls basketball team put together an outstanding season, going 9-0 to win the league title.
Lake Shore’s Kiersten Matkins, Dakota Warren, Emily Brandts, Carlie Shoemaker, Emily Clewly, Aubrey Stevenson, Chloe Amrhien and Reese...
By Colin MurphyThe Buccaneers 9U boys basketball team represented Pasadena in fine fashion in Baltimore over the weekend of February 25 and 26, going 3-0 and winning the championship at the Charm City Basketball East Coast Winter Slam tournament.
The team of Josh Howard, Chase McLaughlin, Michai Matthews,...
By Colin MurphyThe Lake Shore Wild Fire girls basketball team completed a 9-1 season to win the county championship in the Anne Arundel County Recreation & Parks 10U Mountaineers division.
The team of Julia Moreno, Brooke Topper, Tatiyana Blacknail, Ashleigh Mech, Kelsie Payne, Hannah Haberkorn, Isabella...
By Colin MurphyThe 10U Lake Shore boys basketball team emphatically punctuated its season on March 4 with a 45-17 victory over Broadneck to finish the year 9-2 overall and win the county’s 10U B1 Division championship.
Lake Shore’s winter finale — its biggest scoring output and largest margin...
By Colin MurphyLake Shore’s 11U boys basketball team coached by Jeff Helsel completed a strong two-year turnaround by finishing this season 10-1 and winning the county’s 11U B2 A Division championship.
The team of Noah Bowerman, Jayden Cieri, Jonathan Duncan, Adrian Gonzalez, Brody Kelm, Nate Matkins...
By Colin MurphyThe Lake Shore Tsunamis capped an 8-2 season with a 2-0 postseason tournament to win the Lake Shore 10U girls basketball intramural championship.
Players Isabel Schulze, Kate Whipp, Corinne Trakas, Morgan Ruhl, Jordan Thomas, Maddie Thompson and Madison Thompson comprised the team, which was...
By Colin MurphyFollowing an 8-0 regular season, the 12U Buccaneers Terrapins boys basketball team went on a 4-0 playoff run to win the league championship with an undefeated 12-0 record.
The seven-player team of Hunter Miller, Nazier Thomas, Hunter Ferrer, Jonah Williams, David Sweeney, John Maddox and Nathan...
By Colin MurphyThe Panthers Athletic Club 14U Rage cheerleading team will add to its stellar 2017 season resume this May when it travels to Virginia Beach to compete in the U.S. Finals.
The Rage are only the second team in Panthers cheerleading history (since 1999) to receive a full paid bid to the U.S. Finals,...
By Colin MurphyPasadena Baseball Club coaches took the initiative during the first week of March to prepare for the unknown by partnering with Northeast Certified Athletic Trainer Melissa Read and MedStar Medicine to take a CPR certification course.
- Courtesy photoPasadena Baseball Club coaches gathered for a CPR training session this March. All 32 PBC travel baseball coaches are now CPR certified. "We pray that we never have to use it, but if something happens, every coach in our travel program is prepared," said PBC and Northeast HS baseball coach Adam Bolling.
Northeast baseball coach Adam Bolling proposed the idea to the...
- Courtesy photo
By AnonymousThe 2016/2017 Green Hornets 8/9 boys basketball season concluded on Saturday, February 25, at Folger McKinsey Elementary School. For playoffs, the league was divided into two playoff brackets, an A and a B bracket, based on regular season records.
In a tough, defensive battle in the A bracket...
By Colin MurphyA near triple-double by Troy McNeill, who had 12 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists, along with 19 points and nine rebounds by Brennan Volkman, 14 points and nine rebounds by Jacoby Rojas and 10 points by Anthony Stewart powered the Northeast boys basketball team to a 70-51 victory over...
- Photo courtesy of Heather McNeillThe Northeast boys coolly took to the bench after a 70-51 victory over rival Chesapeake on Saturday allowed the Eagles to march on in the 3A East playoffs.
- Photo courtesy of Heather McNeill
By Colin MurphyOn records alone, the Chesapeake boys basketball team could have been considered the underdog when it hosted rival Northeast on February 10. The Cougars, sitting on three wins, faced a challenge against a nine-win Eagle team that had won the teams’ prior meeting 53-40 at Northeast on January...
- Photo by Colin MurphyJoe Seidler and Cameron Christian fought for position during the Cougars' victory over the Eagles on February 10.
- Photo by Colin Murphy
By Colin MurphyA spirited atmosphere set the stage for the Chesapeake girls basketball team’s 47-19 win over Northeast on February 12 as the Cougars celebrated senior night in style by surpassing last year’s 16-9 season win total and improving to 17-3 overall.
- Photo by Colin MurphyChesapeake's Mikaela Gray and Northeast's Sabrina Benge tussled for rebounding position during the Cougars' win on February 10.
Chesapeake’s center-forward duo of...
- Photo by Colin Murphy
By Colin MurphyElectric guard play and a suffocating full-court press powered the Northeast JV boys basketball team to an emphatic rivalry win on February 10 as the Eagles knocked off the visiting Chesapeake Cougars 72-35.
- Photo by Colin MurphyBrandon LeBarron had 30 of Northeast's 72 points in the Eagles victory over Chesapeake on February 10.
Northeast shooting guard Brandon LeBarron was unstoppable throughout the contest and put...
- Photo by Colin Murphy